Thursday 17 September 2009

Irish campaign getting colours

Thanks to EUObserver I came across the leaflet distributed in Ireland by Freedom and Democracy Group of the EP. I must say this is the first time that I see a clear message about the European Union and what stands behind it.
I do not want to say that I would sign to this message and the information behind. Especially the data showing the loss of 'relative voting power in the EU Council' is unfounded showing that the Germany gains 100% while Ireland loses 50% (on the graph rather 60%). But let's not play a Commissioner here. The important is that there is a clear message behind. And a lot of mixed concepts that should be used for real debate/discussion/duel.
I am not sure if anybody on the YES side will be ready to stand up against the claims and beat down the arguments of NO camp.
Why? Because a lot of these messages are right. The problem is that they are exaggerated.
1. Does the EU want to enlarge to Turkey? Yes. It would not negotiate if it did not.
2. Will Ireland become a net contributor to the EU? I hope so given it is one of richest countries...
3. Is the cheaper workforce from the East a challenge to the jobs in Ireland. Of course, these are the rules of the competition.
4. Does the Commission want to establish a common corporate tax basis? Yes, to facilitate the life of business.
5. Is Europe becoming an empire? I think in some sense it already is. The question is what are the objectives and values of this block/federation/confederation. And how the power is controlled. I am not satisfied by the existing control standards.
6. Does the EU try to harmonise civil laws? Yes, as it results from the growing number of conflicts between national laws. Take a case of international marriages and divorces.
7. Do we trust politicians like Sarkozy and Barroso - surrounded by some Irish heads? I believe Sarkozy tries to realise his vision of France and Europe. As to Barroso- I do believe he works hard to lead the Commission in the direction he believes it should go. Do you know this direction? Frankly saying- I have not captured it. Probably I should go for a one month sabatical to study his 40 page programme.

So, would I vote yes to the Lisbon treaty? Does the Freedom and Democracy group have the right to publish some materials? What is really at stake in this referendum? What is the central question?

I think it should be put as follows: Are Irish people ready to support the EU integration process as described in the Treaty of Lisbon.
If yes, then Sarkozy, Barroso and Merkel have the right to continue along the existing lines.
If no, then the EU will have 2 questions to reply:
Do we want to continue integration as set in Lisbon Treaty without the Irish and other blocking nations? Or should we go back to the drawing board and redesign the integration process.

So the 2nd October might be the real date of EU meeting its fate. I will watch it with attention.

2 comments:

  1. From an outsiders point of view: There is one major question I have that I can't find addressed in your comment. Using the extension to Turkey as an example: We know that the EU is negotiating with Turkey. But does Lisbon Treaty change anything here? IF I understand right, the current situation is that all MSs have to apprive a new member. Does the Lison Treaty change anything here? The Irish referendum is about Lisbon T., not EU as such? Looking forward to your clarifications.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. I missed this point. But it is true that without Lisbon Treaty it will be much more difficult to enlarge. Do you remember the night of long nives in Nice. Lisbon introduces the famouns double majority in the Council of Ministers. And this makes it easier to negotiate terms of enlargements. I do not imagine Sarkozy giving to Mr Erdogan more weighted votes than currently enjoyed by France (equal to Germany). Without Lisbon, enlargement will be even more difficult than it is now. So the quote from Sarkozy: no Lisbon, no enlargement, which of course was not destined to instigate anti-Lisbon votes, is well placed here.
    All my point in this post was that the referendum is the only moment (apart from EP elections) when people are asked what they think about the EU and the direction it is going to. And in this point the leaflet poses difficult questions that should be answered. I am sorry I have not seen such a leaflet during the European campaign...
    If Lisbon comes into force, there will be a mechanism to communautarise some of the policies. So I think Lisbon deserves a debate. And I do not want to discard the voices of the opponents just because they miss some points. Because strangely I feel that there is more behind. I am a bit fed up with the permissive consensus assumption.

    So I am not saying I am against Lisbon treaty as such. I have not read it... :). I am only commenting the debate. And since this is a referendum you have to go down and fight in the field. With sometimes simplistic arguments. I do not see anybody ready to fight this battle... Still I am not Irish. Go, Pat (Cox) go! Show them what the elites are capable of!

    ReplyDelete