Thursday 21 May 2009

hesitations of a eurocrat

As you will see quickly English is not my mother tongue. I work for the EU institutions. 3 years right now. But the official policy of EU institutions is that I cannot speak to the press, unless authorised by my superiors and communication Unit. I risk sanctions (actually did not check what type). In general terms I like my job and I would like to continue the career. Do I need to keep silent?

On the other hand I have devoted last 10 years studying the European integration. I even made a Ph.D. about the Convention that has drafted the 'defunct' (dead) European Constitution. When I was given my Ph.D. title I solemnly sworn to - something like: in my life stick to the principles of science which means trying to seek the truth and describe reality for others (I confabulate a bit, but you get the point). Can I write in my personal capacity? Blog is such a tool by nature, isn't it?

Why I want to write a blog? Because I am thinking and discussing different aspects of EU on a daily basis. I would like to share it with others. I want to confront my thinking because my experience says that unless something is written down, it gots lost somehow.

But I have to live with this dual position. Being a private citizen with a freedom of expression and working in the big machine of European institutions. This is not an official blog of a person you can easily identify but on the other hand with time I am sure it will be easy to trace me. So I will try live with this duality. Please understand it.

This is actually my second blog. The first, in my native language, I started writing during my studies - 5 years ago. It died very quickly. I hope that this one will last longer.
So here we go.... aplause :)
As the Chinese say... a tour around the world starts with one step.

No comments:

Post a Comment